Home Ballarat EastBallarat East Ballarat East

About

St Alipius - A History

Our story is a story of people, rather than buildings and dates, although it is important that we acknowledge these. It is the story of a people who have been brought together in faith and love.

St. Alipius Parish has its beginnings in the Ballarat “Gold Rush” that started in August 1851. As thousands of people made their way to the diggings and a town quickly took shape, Father Patrick Dunne celebrated the first Mass for the Catholic miners in October 1851.

In late 1852 a second priest Father Matthew Downing arrived and named his Parish after St. Alipius and the Bishop of the time, James Alipius Goold.

In February 1853 Father Downing moved to the present St. Alipius site and erected a church made of slabs with a canvas roof. A school was also built and classes began on April 1st.

 (Text from : http://www.sovereignhillschool.vic.edu.au)

Churches:

St. Alipius’ – Ballarat East
Ss. Peter & Paul’s – Buninyong

Presbytery:

84 Victoria Street
Ballarat Vic 3350

Phone:  (03) 5332 6611

Fax:  (03) 5332 3303

Email to St Alipius' Parish

 

Parish Priest:

Fr. Adrian McInerney

Parish Secretary:

Jim Moran

Mass Times

St. Alipius’ – Ballarat East
Saturday: 6:00pm
1st, 3rd, 5th Sundays: 9:00am
2nd & 4th Sundays: 10:30am

Ss. Peter & Paul’s – Buninyong
1st, 3rd, 5th Sundays: 10:30am

Other times

Baptisms - 1st, 3rd and 5th Sundays - St Peter & Paul Buninyong  / 2nd and 4th Sundays - St Alipius Ballarat East

Marriages by appointment

Sacrament of Penance: Saturday, 10:00am

Catholic Schools:

St. Alipius’ Parish School

St. Francis Xavier Primary School

Emmaus Catholic Primary School

Damascus College

 

 
  • Overview
  • Parishes
  • Ballarat East