The Parish of
23 Dinwoodie Street, Hamilton
Cnr Simpson Street & Coleraine Road, Balmoral
26 Robertson Street, Casterton
47 McKebery Street, Coleraine
98 Martin Street, Dunkeld
5 Anzac Avenue, Edenhope
40 McLennan Street, Glenthompson
103 Glenferrie Rd, Harrow
13 Martin Street, Penshurst
Tarrayoukyan Road, Tarrayoukyan
Please click on this link to find Mass Times for St Mary MacKillop Parish.
|Co-Pastor & Moderator
Fr Patrick Mugavin (Resident in Hamilton) Fr Paddy is the Co-Pastor and Moderator of St Mary Mackillop Parish, Western Border which encompasses the former parishes of Casterton, Coleraine, Edenhope, Hamilton and Harrow.
Fr George Kuruvila MST
(Resident in Casterton)
The Parish of St Mary MacKillop, Western Border was formed by joining groups of neighbouring parishes that have already been working together and sharing a parish priest. The Western Border parish covers Casterton, Coleraine, Edenhope, Hamilton and Harrow. The formation of this new parish is the fruit of several years of consultation, including the Looking Forward gatherings that have been held since 2014. The detailed proposals for the new parish developed through discussions among priests and parishioners and were endorsed by the Council of Priests at their meeting on June 19. Bishop Paul Bird confirmed the formation of the new parish on July 1, 2018.
These arrangements make it easier for the local communities to share the tasks involved in pastoral care and parish administration and gives the priests more time for pastoral and sacramental ministry.
The priests who have been caring for this region will continue to do so. Fr Patrick Mugavin is co-pastor and Moderator of the Western Border parish along with Fr George Kuruvila as co-pastor.
The first Mass was celebrated in Hamilton in a tent on the May 22, 1848 by Fr Kavanagh. The first Parish Priest appointed to St Mary’s Hamilton was Fr John O’Connell in 1862. St Mary’s Catholic Church Hamilton, designed by William Wardell, which stands on what was once known as ‘She Oak Hill’ with its spire, dominates as a landmark building for Hamilton. James Henry Fox, an architect, was the supervisor of the early work at St Mary’s which opened in August 1866. Francis Punch, a local architect, was responsible for extensions and renovations in 1987. St Mary’s has historical significance for its association with Catholic congregations in the Hamilton district and beyond over a period of nearly 130 years.
Casterton is a country town situated in the Glenelg River valley among the hills of Victoria’s southwest with a population of around 2,000 people. It is most famous for being the birthplace of the kelpie!
Sacred Heart Parish — originally named the Sandford Mission — was established in 1875. The church was erected in 1886. At present about 100 people frequent Mass at Sacred Heart each Sunday. On the fourth Sunday of the month, Mass is followed with substantial refreshments in the church hall. Visitors are especially welcome.
In 1902 the Sisters of Mercy established a convent in Casterton, and served the community here until 2008. The Sisters’ ministry and witness lives on in Sacred Heart Primary School, which continues to thrive.
A Passionist Family Group meets each month, which presently constitutes fifteen families. New parishioners are welcome and encouraged to join.
Sacred Heart is also home to a hard-working and fruitful conference of the St Vincent de Paul Society. The Vinnies Shop, at 32 McPherson Street in Casterton, is open Wednesday to Friday, from 10.00am – 3.30pm, and Saturday from 10.00am – 12.00noon.
St Malachy’s Church is located in the main street of Edenhope. We welcome all visitors to Edenhope.
We are very proud of our Catholic Primary School, St Malachy’s. It is situated around the corner from the church, on the shores of Lake Wallace — which really is a lake again, now that wet winters have returned!
There are also church communities in Apsley, Goroke and Minimay. Each of these places celebrates Mass at regular intervals.
Harrow is a quintessentially Aussie hamlet within the Western District. It is a close-knit community with lots of initiative. Among its many attractions, locals have organised the Johnny Mullagh Discovery Centre, an historical sound and light show at the local pub, and popular recurring events like “Beaut Blokes” — the inspiration for Farmer Wants a Wife — and “Pathways to Harrow,” which celebrates multiple generations of pioneering women of the district. The Catholics in Harrow worship at St Michael’s, a charming timber church “the other side of the river.”
The neighbouring town of Balmoral is smaller than Harrow, but the Catholic congregation there is much bigger. At St Patrick’s you will find a repertoire of hymns which reflect the artistic talents redolent of Balmoral. The faithful of St Michael’s welcome you to our active and friendly community.
Tarrayoukyan is no longer a town at all. Where once there stood a sawmill, a pub and multiple residences, Tarrayoukyan now consists of St Joseph’s Catholic Church, and a picturesque bush cemetery. Nonetheless, there are always visitors among the Tarrayoukyan congregation at our monthly Mass, and they’re always made to feel welcome.
Standard 1 of the Victorian Childsafe Standards
Aboriginal cultural safety—a conversation with Sherry Balcombe and Michael Chisholm I July 2022