On Sunday, October 23, 2022, St Joseph’s Community Charlton will celebrate 100 years since the laying of the foundation stones of the Presbytery and the School / Hall. In 1921 a very successful bazaar was held to raise funds to build a new Presbytery. Enough money was raised to also build a new School / Hall.
On October 28, 1922 Most Rev D Foley, Bishop of Ballarat, blessed and laid the foundation stones of the Presbytery and School / Hall. Fr Cornelius Kelly was the Parish Priest.
The main part of the Presbytery has not changed much, although in the 1950s a housekeeper’s flat and a new additional shower area were added. Alterations to the kitchen and laundry area were also made.
The School / Hall was used as both a school and hall until 1959, when a new four roomed school building was erected when Fr Charles Mulcahy was Parish Priest. The School / Hall was still utilised as a school room when numbers demanded, but is now used exclusively as a hall. Functions include catering for funerals, dances, concerts, 21st parties, etc.
Mass will be held at 10.30am on Sunday, October 23 followed by a tour of the Presbytery and School / Hall. Light luncheon will be available.
For catering purposes please RSVP to:
Email: email@example.com or
Mail: PO Box 12, St Arnaud 3478 or
Ph. 0408 547 973 (Anne Kenny)
Click here for the flyer.