We see the Liturgy as the heart and the centre of our activity as Church.
Through pastoral experience, academic study, expertise and a genuine liturgical spirituality, the Commission strives to advise and support the Bishop in liturgical matters and to serve the people of the Diocese in all areas of worship.
ACTIVITY OF THE COMMISSION:
- The Commission assumes responsibility for Diocesan Liturgical Celebrations (in conjunction with the Cathedral Parish) – The Rite of Election for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults and Children, the Chrism Mass, Episcopal Ordinations, Ordinations to the Priesthood, Ordinations to the Diaconate and the annual celebration of Clergy Jubilarians Mass (this Mass is co-ordinated in conjunction with the Council of Priests and the Cathedral Parish).
- The Commission provides support and leadership for other Diocesan celebrations such as Religious Professions, Commissioning of Diocesan Priests going to Missionary work and the funerals of Diocesan Clergy.
- All works of the Commission are undertaken at the discretion of the Bishop of the Diocese.
(* also available from the members section of the website)
- Materials for the provision of Sunday Assemblies of Word and Communion *
- Christian Initiation:
– Sacrament of Penance for Children *
– Catechetical Resources for the Sacraments of Initiation
(available for purchase within the diocese from the Pastoral Ministry Office)
– Parish Handbook for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults *
– Parish Handbook for the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults with children of catechetical age *
- Diocesan Sacramental Certificates for:
– Sacraments of Initiation for Children
– Initiation of Adults
– Reception into the Church
- Sacramental Stoles and accompanying symbols for the Sacraments of Initiation
(available for purchase from the Catholic Development Fund)
- Policies for:
– Altar Servers*
– Sacraments of Initiation for Children*
- Guidelines for:
– Diocesan, Episcopal, Cathedral Liturgies*
– The use of Visual Display Systems in Liturgical Celebrations*
– Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion*
– Ritual for the Closure of a Church*
– Sunday Celebrations in the Absence of a Priest *
– Manual for Lay Leaders of Sunday Assemblies or Word and Communion*
– Reservation of the Blessed Sacrament Guidelines *
– Parish Reception of the Holy Oils from the Chrism Mass *
– Proper Care and Use of Holy Oils *
– Pastoral Care and Funeral Ministry Guidelines * (see further resources below)
“Guidelines for the Celebration of the Sacraments for People with Disability” prepared by the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference, have been distributed to all parishes and schools in the diocese. Additional copies may be purchased from the Australian Catholic Bishops Commission online shop www.catholic.org.au/shop.
Funeral Ministry Resources: The following resources are available to assist funeral and bereavement ministries. These documents are available from the members section of this website under “Resources – Funeral Ministry”:
- Guidelines for Pastoral Care and Funeral Ministry.
- Eulogy Writing – Quick Tips.
- Lectern Set Funeral Readings for Adults .
- Sample Christian Funeral Rite at the Graveside.
- Sample Crematorium Committal – The Rite of Christian Farewell.
- Sample Crematorium Prayer Service – The Rite of Christian Farewell.
- Sample Funeral Prayer Service
- Sample Graveside Prayers for a Child / Infant.
- Sample Planning Sheet – Funeral Mass.
- Sample Planning Sheet – Funeral Prayer Celebration.
- Sample Prayers for the Burial of Ashes.
- Sample Prayer of the Faithful for Funerals outside Mass.
- Sample Prayer of the Faithful for Funerals within Mass.
- Sample Vigil Prayers.
- Suggestions for planning in the event of suicide.
- The Pall & The Flag.
- Catholic Australia provide further Prayers of the Faithful for a funeral.
Formation can be provided upon request and could include the following topics:
- Sacraments of Initiation of Children;
- Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults and Children;
- Training/formation programs for Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and Lectors;
- Workshops for the Liturgical Seasons;
- Presiders Workshops for Clergy;
- Liturgical music workshops for musicians and singers;
- Funeral Ministry
- Planning and celebrating liturgies – whether they be Sunday celebrations or not;
- Sunday Assembly of Word & Communion;
- Scripture reflection;
- Ministry of preaching, planning homilies, preaching and the effective communication of
- Most Rev Paul Bird CSsR (Ex-Officio)
- Dr Susan Crowe
- Mrs Gabrielle Ewing
- Dr Christine Hadwen
- Fr Gary Jones (Chair)
- Mr Geoff Martin
- Mrs Cathy Prunty
- Mrs Julie Boyd (Administration Officer)
REPORTS FROM DIOCESAN LITURGICAL COMMISSION MEETINGS:
Postal Address: PO Box 576, Ballarat, 3353
Phone: (03) 5337 7159
Email: Diocesan Liturgical Commission