Beat Plastic Pollution (May 23, 2018)
Sustainable drinking water: Tap water is best but what bottle should you drink it from. (April 23, 2018 )
What you can do to reduce waste (April 23, 2018)
GLOBALSTEWARDS: Sustainable Living Tips
(It is a public domain site) It has many suggestions for creating a sustainable lifestyle and includes an environmental calendar with links to good descriptions of the days it represents. (An American website)
SUSTAINING COMMUNITY: Families, Community, the Environment A non-organisational website for sustainable communities
DID YOU KNOW? (All Hallows, Dublin. 19th March 2018)
• Australia is one of the most wasteful countries in the developed world. We are the second biggest consumer of fabric.
• 6000 kg of clothes are thrown out every 10 minutes in Australia… Straight to landfill.
• It takes 2700 litres of water to produce one cotton t-shirt – enough drinking water for 3 years.
• The Smith Family warehouse processes discarded clothing (3 million kg a year). Some are recycled for rags and 30% goes to waste. Op-shops are drowning in second hand, low quality clothing which means 85% goes to landfill.
• Three quarters of clothing purchased is thrown out within a year.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
• Buy less – choose well – make it last.
• Repair, don’t replace.
• Do your research and buy sustainable fabrics.
• Shop in op-shops or consignment stores.
• Buy environmentally friendly clothing.
• Join Facebook swap groups or buy second hand clothing on eBay or in vintage stores.